Saigon New Year's 2018

Saigon New Year's 2018
Saigon New Year's 2018

Monday, December 14, 2015

Saigon/Hong Kong: a bit of a contrast

Click this link to see pictures from this post.



December 2015
You may have heard the saying: “New York hour is a Hong Kong minute”?  If that is true, then I coin a new one: “Hong Kong minute is a Saigon second”.  4 month already and feels like I have lived here a year.  Definitely not for the slow of heart!

Work
Things are definitely getting hold.  Beginning was stress: not knowing if I will be accepted or rejected and unclear expectations, cultural differences and mixed expectations.  Still working long hours but 4 months into it I retained most of my team (a few left) and I hired a few new managers.  I feel we are already making great changes and people see the pattern and vision.  I think they are starting to believe that we can truly build this company into something great and big.  Time will show.  I am a believer.

Family back home
I was very honored to be invited to join the International Board of Advisers for the Gustavson Business School in Victoria, which now gives me even more options to give back and see family at the same time.  I flew to Canada for a week and spent a few days with Cathy, Grace and Tessa.  Was beautiful to witness the fall colors and slow down after Saigon, breathe clean air and recycle (even for a few days).  Next planned trip: Christmas for 10 days, so excited!

My new home
In October I moved to my permanent apartment.  30th floor of Saigon Pearl luxury apartment complex truly feels like living in Vancouver, especially if you consider my unobstructed downtown and river view, doorman service and driver pick-up in the morning.  That is expat life at its best, with the exception of living away from the children.  I love my new home and it is a great space and refuge.  Cost, on the other hand, is crazy: over 2300 US per month!  Luckily this is paid by the company, so I don’t have to feel that bad other that most people can afford to pay 50 to 100US per month for their small place.  Welcome to the Saigon contradictions.

First charity event
I got invited to my first charity event in District 7.  350 new bikes were donated to students in need.  Yamaha as main sponsor and my friend co-sponsor put on a great show, complete with bands, TV.   They even had a VIP bathroom (see pics).  Thousands participated, so was really nice to see corporate world having a good heart.  I also discovered a new District 7 which was built by the Japanese and Koreans and it looks like Vancouver in parts: large green streets, clean, modern buildings and man-made lakes.  Something so so different from other districts in Saigon.  Feels like a different country.  A nice getaway when needed.

Hong Kong trip
Given Vietnam is so nicely positioned in Asia, many places are only a few hours away by plane and the cost is not high.  I always wanted to visit HK, so one weekend made my dream come true.  Cathy’s dada always talked about how amazing that place was… And it truly is!  Buildings on top of buildings, #9 tallest building in the world just constructed, magnificent views from Victoria peak.  Even though HK was handed over to China in 97, you can still see and feel British influence.  The city is opulent in luxury brands.  Did you know HK has the highest IQ and highest number of Rolls Royce cars per capita in the world?  Has many more stats.

As highlights: visited ICC tower (#9 highest) and the elevator takes 60s to go 100 floors; Victoria peak on a tram that travels at insane 40 degree angles; ate a Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. on the Vic. Peak, which was superb; enjoyed stunning Victoria peak views: truly the best view ever!  Took Star ferries across the Victoria harbor; visited Times Square and drooled a bit over all the shopping (mostly luxury that none of us could afford) complete with most amazing Christmas decorations; took a bus tour and learned some cool history of HK; ate at a Michelin Star dim sum restaurant (considered cheapest Michelin rated restaurant in the world), was superb; took the pink Toyota taxi; enjoyed some street food.  Basically, exceeded all my expectations and absolutely will go back, despite the fact that it is a tad expensive J

A few other highlights and learnings since my last blog

·         Reunification Palace: a 1960s design building that replaced French Colonial one; was the place of command for the South offensive against the North during the Vietnam war.  Building is preserved from the victory day, but other than a few grand rooms and the  bunker with old phones, maps and radio equipment, the entire building is a massive space under-utilization.  More impressive on the outside than the inside.
. Bathrooms: each country has its weirdness around bathrooms.  Vietnam has its.  Each bathroom stall is equipped with a little sprayer hose, something that you would use to water small plants.  It is used to wash undercarriage and seems very effective.  The only downside is the water tends to go everywhere.  But definitely more effective than the french method.  Vietnamese were surprised we foreigners don't have this: so how do you keep clean?  Certainly did not expect this.
.  On my way to work, I can see people on the side of the road selling live chickens.  Those are not sport chicken, but the dinner kind.  Cheap and ready to go.   I prefer KFC kind to skip the production process.
.   There is lots of street food everywhere.  Basically if you do not think of where it comes from or where the dishes get washed, with several cans of Heineken or Saporo some of these treats can be very tasty: french bread with pulled dried pork or some other kind of meat, all kinds of seafood, some veggies and fruit.  Cheap cheap cheap.... and tasty.  By the way,in the big supermarkets you can buy MSG in bulk in bags of 10, 20 or 50kg.
.  Toothpicks are as essential here as the chopsticks.  Every self respecting Vietnamese knows how to use those discretely and effectively.  Even I have learned to use this great little invention.  Now after lunch we can have 5 minutes of quiet, all politely checking the spacing. 
.   We have lots of malls, with new ones opening everyday.  Not sure who shops there, but the other day I found some really nice bedding for 500 USD.  That was the cheap set.  The top of the line retailed for just over 1000 USD.  I was just imagining the sweet dreams I would have sleeping on money.   But that thought passed quickly and I got myself a 4USD latte.
.   Gyms are another for of social belonging expanding rapidly here.  Monthly fees from 60 to over 100 USD per month.  That is about 2/3 of an average salary.  Too bad they don't let you sleep there, as they have already very nice showers. 
.    In Ho Chi Minh City there are about 10 million people and 5 million scooters.  Some old, some new, all polluting.  The best part are the Louis Vuitton of Gucci branded seats on those bikes.  I wonder if they are fakes? 
.  Did you know that burping in Vietnam is socially acceptable?  At least it appears that way, as nobody skips a beat doing that.  As Shrek once said: better out than in!

So that is my latest installment from Saigon.  Getting ready to head to Canada for Christmas and see the girls.

Cheers!  Or as the Vietnamese would say: YO!

No comments:

Post a Comment